If you’d like your trade association to be added to this page or require any amendments, please contact me.
AFME: Association for Financial Markets in Europe
- Go to: www.afme.eu
- What: “the voice of Europe’s wholesale financial markets”, AFME focuses on wholesale banking issues from a pan-European perspective.
- Who: Represents global & European banks and other significant capital market players.
- Connections: Member of the GFMA (Global Financial Markets Association) Alliance which also includes SIFMA & ASIFMA
AIMA: Alternative Investment Fund Association
- Go to: www.aima.org
- What/ Who: global representative of the alternative investment industry, such as hedge funds.
ALFI: Association of the Luxembourg Fund Association
- Go to: www.alfi.lu
- What: “Lead industry efforts to make Luxembourg the most attractive international centre for investment funds”
- Who: investment funds plus service providers: custodian banks, fund managers and administrators, transfer agents, fund distributors, law firms, consultants and tax advisers, auditors and accounting firms, IT services companies, etc.
AMAFI: Association française des marches financiers
- Go to: www.amafi.fr
- What/ Who: represents professionals working in the securities industry and financial markets in France. Most members are investment firms but also includes credit institutions. Majority of members work directly or indirectly in the financial markets, particularly in equities and derivatives: a few operate infrastructures such as regulated and organised markets, the clearing house and a settlement system.
AMF: Association de Mercados Financieros
ASIFMA: Asia Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association
- Go to: www.asifma.org
- What: Focus on capital market issues
- Who: Represents a range of leading financial institutions from both the buy and sell side, including banks, asset managers, law firms and market infrastructure service providers.
- Connections: member of the GFMA (Global Financial Markets Association) Alliance which also includes SIFMA & AFM
ATF: Asia Trader Forum
EBF: European Banking Federation
- Go to: www.ebf.eu
- What /Who: “voice of the European banking sector, uniting 32 national banking associations in Europe that together represent some 3,500 banks – large and small, wholesale and retail, local and international”
- Connections: national banking associations in EU: worth noting there is a list of these national associations with links on their website.
EVIA: European Venues & Intermediaries Association
- Go to: www.evia.org.uk
- What: Focuses on wholesale financial markets in interest rates, credit, foreign exchange and equity derivatives.Previously known as the Wholesale Markets Brokers Association (WMBA).
- Who: Represents Wholesale Market Venues, Platforms and Arranging intermediaries (includes operators of OTFs and MTFs).
- Connections: sister association – The London Energy Brokers’ Association, LEBA
FIA: Futures Industry Association
- Go to: www.fia.org
- What: Global trade organisation for the futures, options and centrally cleared derivatives markets
- Who: represents clearing firms, exchanges, clearinghouses, trading firms and commodities specialists as well as technology vendors, lawyers and other professionals serving the industry.
GFMA Alliance: Global Financial Markets Association
- Go to: www.gfma.org
- What: GFMA is a forum which brings together its existing regional trade association members – AFME, ASIFMA & SIFMA – to address issues with global implications and promote coordinated advocacy efforts.
- Who: Leading financial and capital market participants, global systemically important banks
- Connections: see above
IA: Investment Association
ICMA: International Capital Markets Association
- Go to: www.icmagroup.org
- What: Membership association focused on range of issues which impact the international capital debt markets. Four core areas – primary markets, secondary markets, repo and collateral markets, and the green and social bond markets.
- Who: represents all segments of the wholesale and retail debt securities market. Members include private and public sector issuers, financial intermediaries, asset managers and other investors, capital market infrastructure providers, central banks, law firms and others worldwide
- Connections: see above
ICSA: International Council of Securities Associations
- Go to: https://icsa.global
- What: global organization of securities industry associations representing securities firms operating in domestic and cross-border markets across the globe, including East and West Asia, Latin America, North America, and Europe.
- Who: ICMA members are self-regulatory associations and trade associations that represent the global capital market.
ISDA: International Swaps and Derivatives Association
- Go to: www.isda.org
- What: Make the global derivatives market safer
- Who: a broad range of derivatives market participants, including corporations, investment managers, government and supranational entities, insurance companies, energy and commodities firms, and international and regional banks. In addition to market participants, members also include key components of the derivatives market infrastructure, such as exchanges, intermediaries, clearing houses and repositories, as well as law firms, accounting firms and other service providers.
ISLA: International Securities Lending Association
- Go to: www.isla.co.uk
- What/ Who: Represents common interests of participants in the securities lending industry. Members include insurance companies, pension funds, asset managers, banks, securities dealers and service providers. Represents members predominantly across the UK and Europe
LEBA: London Energy Brokers Association
- Go to: www.leba.org.uk
- What/ Who: represents interests of London-based energy brokers. Wholesale markets broking firms active in the Over the Counter (OTC) and exchange traded UK and liberalised European energy markets.
- Connections: sister association – European Venues & Intermediaries Association, EVIA
SIFMA: Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association
- Go to: www.sifma.org
- What: “the voice of the U.S. securities industry”, SIFMA focuses on capital markets.
- Who: Represents broker-dealers, banks and asset managers
- Connections: US regional member of the GFMA (Global Financial Markets Association) Alliance which also includes ASIFMA & AFME
- Go to: www.ukfinance.org.uk
- What/who: represents the finance and banking industry operating in the UK – approx 300 firms providing credit, banking, markets and payment-related services. Wide range of members– individuals, corporates, charities, clubs, associations and government bodies.
- Worth knowing: UK Finance was created in 2017 by merging together some well-known trade associations:
- Asset Based Finance Association
- The British Bankers’ Association (BBA)
- The Council of Mortgage Lenders
- Financial Fraud Action UK
- Payments UK
- the UK Cards Association